Most of us have experienced the loss or theft of our debit cards. It’s also frightening not knowing where your card is and worrying that someone would use it to take your money. Conveniently, the CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) gives assistance to its customers if this occurs, and one method is to deactivate the CIBC debit card.
How to Cancel a CIBC Debit Card
However, losing the card is not the sole cause; not requiring the card or detecting fraudulent activity on your account might also be reasons. In any case, the canceling procedure is fairly straightforward and shouldn’t take you more than a day.
Fortunately, we will walk you through the process of canceling your CIBC debit card in this post. We will also mention some things we recommend doing beforehand.
How to Cancel Your CIBC Debit Card at a Branches
You may believe that you may cancel your debit card using CIBC Online or Mobile Banking, but you cannot.
You do, however, have two possibilities. The first is to go to your local branch and explain your situation:
- Locate the nearest CIBC branch.
- Bring your identification with you.
- Request the termination of your CIBC debit card. They will almost certainly question your reasoning.
- That’s all there is to it! Your card has been cancelled.
Cancelling Your CIBC Debit Card via Phone
You may easily cancel your CIBC debit card by phone, email, or fax. We recommend calling 1-800-465-4653 because it is the quickest choice.
When you speak with a representative, you must inform them of the current status of your debit card. In other words, you must specify whether it is lost or just no longer required.
- If the latter, they may try to provide you a better bargain. If you’re resolved not to acquire a new one, try to avoid it as much as possible.
- However, you must report the former choice to guarantee that your bank account is protected and that your debit card is deactivated as quickly as possible. We recommend that you read: How to Report a Lost CIBC Debit Card.
After getting confirmation that your debit card has been revoked, cut it and ensure that it cannot be reassembled.
What Do I Need to Do Before Cancelling My CIBC Debit Card?
It’s critical to understand that after you cancel your CIBC debit card, you won’t be able to use it again. So, before you even begin the procedure, you should do some things, such as transfer cash. If you have money in your account, move it to another bank account or use an ATM to withdraw it.
Also, if your account is part of a rewards program, attempt to use up all of your points. Some may be removed after the debit card is revoked, while others may be transferred to a replacement card if requested. These facts are available on the CIBC website.